The characteristics of our country are described as following:
- The total surface area of Rwanda is 26,338 Square Kilometers including inland water.
- Rwanda has three board climatic seasons of tropical semi and temperate zones.
- Its general relief is made up of small hills of 800 m high and thus making Rwanda “a country of a thousand hills”.
- Rwanda is an agricultural economy.
- Approximately 12 million people settled in a density of about 490 inhabitants per square kilometre of this population.
- About 90% of the population derives livelihood. The majority of the population produce for domestic consumption.
- Industrial and commercial sector remains an occupation of a small population.
- 47% of the population are illiterate.
- An infant/child mortality rate is 124 per 1,000.
- HIV prevalence is 3%.
- More than 50% of the poorest of the poor persons are children.
- Life expectancy at birth for women is 57 years while for men is at 55.
- Rwanda is among the poor countries in the world.
- The percentage of the population living under the poverty line is estimated at 45%.